Please read the information below to find out more about the nominated members and what experiences and knowledge they feel they can bring to the SSA Council:
Paul Charlton (currently co-opted)
After graduating in sculpture from Edinburgh College of Art, I went on to work in community arts, theatre design and furniture design. I am currently a studio assistant at Edinburgh Printmakers.
The SSA is an important part of Scottish Contemporary Art and I have enjoyed working with the council and members and learning about how the organisation works. I would like to continue working with the council, building on the experience I have gained as a co-opted member throughout 2014.
Julie Eleanor Barnes
The SSA is an artist-led membership and so I offer my services, as both a professional artist and as someone with a wealth of management and business experience.
I have worked at senior management/director level in the Public Sector (NHS and University), Charitable Sector and Private Sector.
I have an understanding of the issues and concerns facing the visual arts sector and believe I can help.
Examples from my CV include:
• Creative, intelligent, professional artist.
• Strong strategic vision and business planning skills.
• Skilled Project Manager, with experience in implementing and overseeing a diverse range of projects. Adhering to budgets and timescales.
• Problem solving and analytical skills.
• Extensive experience in fundraising, philanthropy, and organisational development.
• Developed new fundraising programmes secured funds from corporate donors and funding bodies.
• Created new strategies for working with Grant Giving Trusts/Foundations.
• Project managed several fundraising events in conjunction with business leaders, high net worth individuals, celebrities/ Royalty
• Understand the importance of clear communication, networking and being customer focused e.g. SSA membership, viewing public and funding organisations.
I am energetic, passionate and keen to expand my connections and friendships in the Art sector and support this rewarding and personally relevant organisation. I am pleased to offer my skills, energy and enthusiasm in support of the SSA and its goals.
As a professional member of Visual Arts Scotland I was a Member of Council for three years, 2008-11 during which time I assisted with the selection and hanging of work for the annual exhibitions and with the hand in and hand out days.
I have experience of exhibiting internationally, in 2009 with a solo exhibition on the island of Paxos, Greece and again in 2014 on the island of Tinos, Greece.
I am a member of Edinburgh Printmakers Workshop and of a print studio in Céret, France where I also exhibit my work both locally and internationally.
For several years I was co-director of The Shore Gallery in Leith and became used to dealing with a variety of problems as well as the joys of dealing with a wide range of artists.
I taught art in primary and secondary and also in schools for children with special needs. Over several years I worked on projects in the education department of the National Galleries of Scotland.
As a member of SSA Council I would hope to be able to bring the benefit of my varied working experiences, of exhibiting in other European countries and of liaising with the various organisations involved.