DIGITAL ENTRY TO THE SSA ANNUAL EXHIBITION
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
HOW MANY WORKS CAN I SUBMIT?
• Honorary and Professional Members can submit up to four works
• Ordinary Members and Student Members can submit up to three works
• Non-members can submit up to two works
CAN I SUBMIT WORK IN ANY MEDIUM?
• The SSA considers work in any medium as long as it can fall into one of the following categories: Drawing,*Film, Installation, Mixed Media, Painting, Print, Photography, Performance, Sculpture or*Sound Piece.
*Film and sound works should be uploaded to Vimeo or YouTube and a link included on the SSA submission site. These can be password protected if you wish. You must include at least one image per work so please include a still with this piece.
I WANT TO PROPOSE A WORK WHICH HAS NOT BEEN COMPLETED YET OR IS SITE SPECIFIC. IS THAT OK?
Yes. We encourage new artwork designed specifically for the space, or existing artwork that is re-purposed for this exhibition. If your work is an installation, film, performance or large scale work you can submit up to six images to describe the work and these can include sketches, reference material, descriptive text and images of past work. Proposals should be well-considered and clearly explained.
MUST THE WORK UNDER 180CM BE COMPLETE BEFORE SUBMISSION?
HOW MANY IMAGES OF EACH WORK CAN I SUBMIT?
• You are able to add up to three images of each work under 180cm and up to six images for installation, film, performance and large-scale work (some of these might include sketches of the proposed work or images of past works). Please submit several shots, including the full artwork (from several angles if three-dimensional), the full artwork with a recognisable object beside it to help the selectors envisage scale, plus close up details. Do check that all images are sharp and as true as possible to your artwork.
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST?
• Honorary, Professional & Ordinary Members will not be charged a submission fee.
• Student Members will be charged a half price submission fee of £7.50 for each work submitted.
• Non-members will be charged a submission fee of £15 for each work submitted.
• Where applicable submission fees will be requested whilst going through the submission process online.
WILL MY ONLINE PAYMENT BE SAFE?
• Our system uses PayPal to take payments, allowing you to pay simply and securely with just an email address or mobile number. You don’t have to type in your bankcard details and personal information.
• PayPal delivers one of the most secure payment platforms in the world. They use fraud prevention technology that monitors transactions for suspicious activity, have a team of over 2,000 specialists, working to protect you from fraud and identity theft and, to help identify fraudulent activity, every transaction is reviewed by state of the art security models.
• PayPal uses encryption to automatically encrypt all sensitive information sent between your computer and their systems, making sure your information is kept private.
• Ultimately, as a leader in online payments for over a decade, fighting fraud REALLY matters to PayPal!
WHY IS IT BETTER TO SUBMIT WORK AS AN SSA MEMBER?
• Ordinary Members are able to submit up to 3 works, free of charge, plus enjoy a lower hanging fee (£5 rather than £15) and commission on sales (35% rather than 40%), and an invitation for two to the Private View. There are other benefits throughout the year also including:
1. The opportunity to add your profile to our busy website in our ARTISTS section
2. The option to have your news promoted on our website in the NEWS & OPPORTUNITIES section, Facebook and Twitter pages throughout the year
3. Substantial discounts at many of Scotland’s largest art suppliers with your membership card
4. And the opportunity to be become part of an active network of artists and of an historic society, which is part of the living tradition of all that is best in Scottish art
I AM NOT SCOTTISH AND I DO NOT LIVE IN SCOTLAND. CAN I STILL SUBMIT WORK?
• Yes. The Society of Scottish Artists welcomes artists from all over the world. BUT… Due to a recent change in the law, individuals without a UK residence must register for UK VAT and supply a UK VAT number to the Society of Scottish Artists before they can sell works of art in the Annual Exhibition.
• If this applies to you and your work is shortlisted we must receive your VAT number by the 10 December or we will have to list your work as Not for Sale in the catalogue.
• More information on UK VAT registration and NETP status can be found in ‘Notice 700/1’ at www.hmrc.gov.uk under the heading ‘Should I be registered for VAT?’ or call the VAT Helpline on Tel 0845 010 9000 or, if calling from abroad, +44 2920501 261.
• You can register online for free at: www.hmrc.gov.uk/vat/start/register/how-to-register.htm#2. Please be aware that the processing of applications can take up to 4 weeks.
I AM A MEMBER BUT CANNOT FIND MY MEMBERSHIP NUMBER?
• Please look for an email from email@example.com titled ‘SSA 2016 Open For Entry’. This email contains your Membership Number.
• If you cannot find this or the system doesn’t recognise the number please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
NB: If you registered on the digital system last year then it should recognise you however, all artists who did not register last year (both members and non-members alike) must fill in the registration form in the first instance. This digital submission website is not the same as the SSA website, therefore you will need to set up your own new password.
I WAS TRYING TO UPLOAD MY IMAGE AND IT WENT TO AN ERROR MESSAGE PAGE?
• Firstly hit the back button on your application.
• If you have left your computer sitting open for a while you may need to log in again.
• Open your image in your photo-editing software and check it’s size. The file size of your submitted images should not exceed 1MB and the quality should be at least 72 dpi. Your work should be at least 1000 pixels on its longest edge. There are plenty of free online tools that will resize images for you such as Google Photos. Images larger that 1MB will upload but are not ideal as they may take a while to process depending on your connection speed.
• Once you are happy with your image, save your image as a JPG (JPG is recommended but a GIF or PNG will also upload fine). Do not include any of the following characters in your file name: */:<>?\|%&$”!#
SHOULD MY SIZE HEIGHT/WIDTH/DEPTH INCLUDE FRAMING?
Please include the finished size of your work, including all framing. If your work is site specific or a performance piece and, therefore, the size is yet to be finalised, please add 00/00/00, click the ‘Dimensions not applicable’ box and add a description of the intended scale of the work in the ‘Description:’ box.
DO I NEED TO PROVIDE MY OWN PLINTH/PROJECTOR/SOUND EQUIPMENT ETC.
Installation, de-installation, and supplies, such as projectors, sound equipment, special lighting requirements, etc. are the responsibility of the artist. Artists must provide all required elements of any proposed work including plinths. Installation will take place while the open submission exhibition is being hung and therefore general assistance will be available from Society Members and volunteers wherever possible. All costs associated with the works, whether selected or not, must be borne by the artist/s.