Since their introduction, instant film formats have lent themselves to artists’ mixed media experimentation, the immediacy allowing for a quick idea to be realised.
INSTANT is an online exhibition of unique lens-based work by SSA artists encompassing all that is realised in the moment.
We are seeking work made by SSA members using lens-based media, primarily work using instant film, mixed-media and/or alternative processes in the creation of “one-off” pieces – Instax, Polaroid, wet plate collodion, camera-less prints, all darkroom work – alternative, analogue, antique printing. We want to see it all!
It could be argued that any still image made with lens-based media photographic technologies captures an instant.
The title ‘INSTANT’ can be interpreted by lens-based artists as a traditional theme, but is designed to attract entries from mixed-media / lens-based artists working with and beyond instant film formats and including a range of “antique” still-image technologies.
The personal practice of both the curators, Sarah Kudirka and Alastair Cook, is analogue, and focused on the image as artefact in how they make art. The use of digital photography processes or manipulation will not be a bar to entry.
Unique INSTANT still images only.
Open call opens: Friday 30 April 2021
Entry deadline: Sunday 30 May 2021, midnight
Selection notification: Thursday 11 June 2021
Online exhibition: 1 July – 31 July 2021
HOW TO APPLY
You can submit one piece of work or a series, consisting of 3 works max via Zealous here
You must be a member of the Society to be eligible for this opportunity.
If you’re not yet a member, you can join here
- Each member may submit only one piece of work or a series, consisting of 3 works max.
- All works submitted must be for sale.
- There is no size limit but please bear in mind that this work will need to be posted if sold.
- For ease of delivery and to ensure the work is accurately depicted in the online gallery, the work should not be framed or glazed, if possible.
- There are no restrictions on media, but please remember that you will be responsible for sending your work.
- You must supply at least one good, clear image of the work, which should be at least 1MB in size. You can submit multiple images to show further details of the piece.
- A short description of no more than 150 words must be submitted alongside the work. This will be used if it is selected for the curated showcase on social media.
- Please include the title, dimensions, medium, weight including packaging, and price of the piece in your submission. The weight of the work will be used to estimate the cost of postage. If this is supplied incorrectly, the artist will be responsible for covering any extra costs incurred.
- Once notified of a sale, the artist takes responsibility for posting the work to the client promptly.
- All submitted work must be for sale.
- There will be a 30% commission charge.
- It will be assumed that the sale price includes the commission. Please allow for these points when pricing your work. Prices should include VAT if applicable. If you are VAT registered, please provide a VAT number.
- The Society will calculate the shipping costs, on top of the sale price, based on the weight supplied by the artist. The artist will be required to post the work directly to the buyer, and to pay the cost of postage initially. The Society will then reimburse this cost to the artist once the buyer has received the work.
- The Society will not be responsible for any extra costs incurred as a result of the incorrect weight being supplied by the artist.