The SSA is delighted to be collaborating with Gairloch Museum for the first time, inviting SSA Members to submit work for the exhibition Ulaidhean / Treasures. Members may interpret the title in their own unique ways, be they public treasures known to all, or private and precious to you, highly valuable or potentially worthless, something tangible or barely perceptible. The SSA is excited to see the varying submissions from its members.
Taking place across both the Upper and Lower galleries in Gairloch Museum, 6 July – 28 September 2024, the exhibition will include work by invited artist Pen Reid, alongside selected works from the open call. Submissions are now open and we invite all SSA Members to submit up to 2 works for consideration. All works must be no larger than 80 x 80 cm.
About the Museum
Gairloch Museum moved to its new venue, a converted nuclear bunker, in 2019. Showcasing the history, culture and natural heritage of this beautiful area of the North West Highlands, the Museum was named an Art Fund Museum of the Year in 2020 and in 2023 received a Visit Scotland 5 * Visitor Attraction Grading. Displays at the Museum include the original lens from Rubh Re lighthouse, a replica croft house showing how people used to live and an interactive gallery about our magnificent natural world, midges and all. A café with wonderful views down the loch is situated on the first floor. With galleries on both the ground floor and first floor, and a wide ranging programme of events and exhibitions the Museum has become a cultural hub for both the local community and visitors to the area.
Ulaidhean / Treasures
Behind the Museum at Achtercairn, Gairloch there is a little hill called Torr na h-Ulaidh, or the hill of the treasure. Local folklore tells us that a treasure was once buried at the back of this hill by people fleeing from an enemy and that it remains hidden to this day. It is from this place name that we have taken the title for the exhibition, Ulaidhean/Treasures.
HOW TO APPLY
- All submissions must be made through Zealous HERE by the stated deadline.
- Submissions are open to all SSA Members including Professional Members, Artist Members, Student Members and Graduate Members. If you are not a member you can join here by the stated deadline.
- All work submitted must be no larger than 80 x 80cm
- Work submitted may be in most media including but not limited to painting, drawing, original prints, sculpture, photography, artist books, textiles. We cannot accept sound or moving image submissions, or works which require access to electricity.
- All submitted work must be for sale. A commission of 40% will be deducted from all sales, with ALL Members receiving 60% of the sale price. Please take this into consideration when setting your artwork price.
- Unless part of a diptych/triptych, each artwork must have their own submission. Multiple works submitted in one submission will not be considered.
- Please ensure all artwork details are correct as these will be used for labels.
ARTWORK DELIVERY & COLLECTION
Selected artists are invited to deliver their works directly to the museum. Where necessary, the SSA will organise group transport from a collection point. Further information will be confirmed upon pre-selection.
Delivery: Monday 1 July & Tuesday 2 July 2024
Collection: Monday 30 October & Tuesday 1 November 2024
Gairloch Museum, Gairloch, Ross-Shire, IV21 2BH
Online Submissions open: Tuesday 13 February, 9am
Online Submissions close: Monday 29 April, 9am
Selection notification: Friday 24 May 2024
Artwork Delivery: See above
Exhibition Dates:6 July – 28 September 2024
Private View: Friday 5 July 6 -8pm
Artist, Student, Graduate & Professional Members
Maximum no. of submissions: 2
Image: Pen Reid, Empty Nest, Oil on linen, 60 x 60cm, 2022.