This is an exciting international exhibition opportunity for an artist based in Scotland and working in printmaking to apply for a solo exhibition at Engramme in Quebec, Canada in 2018.
Now in its sixth year, this partnership between the Society of Scottish Artists and Engramme has created a vibrant dialogue between artists based in Scotland and Canada.
We continue this creative collaboration by offering an artist from Scotland the opportunity to exhibit in Quebec. In exchange, we will invite an artist based in Canada to exhibit in Scotland as part of the Society of Scottish Artists 2018 Annual Exhibition at the Royal Academy Buildings, Edinburgh.
The award includes free use of Engramme’s contemporary gallery plus supervision and promotion of the exhibition. Engramme will also cover the cost of accommodation for four nights stay for the artist in Quebec and pay travel expenses up to $220.
Devoted to the promotion of original printmaking, Engramme is an artist run centre providing creative opportunities for artists.
HOW TO APPLY:
All artists based in Scotland and working in printmaking are welcome to apply, although artists do have to be a member of the Society of Scottish Artists to apply. Membership of the Society is open to all artists and you can join online today. There is no additional submission fee.
Membership of the Society of Scottish Artists provides a number of benefits which are listed on our website. Join online: https://www.s-s-a.org/membership/join-us/
- Read the terms and conditions BELOW.
- Prepare ONE PDF document containing the following:
- Your name and contact details
- Link to your website
- A brief artist statement relating to the images you send (no more than 200 words)
- 8 – 10 images of recent work that is representative of what will be included in the exhibition. Label each work with TITLE, MEDIUM, DIMENSIONS.
- A C.V. – no more than one A4 page
- Email your PDF document to email@example.com stating ‘Engramme Exchange Submission’ in the email subject box
DEADLINE: Midnight, Thursday 11 May, 2017
ABOUT ENGRAMME STUDIOS
Engramme is an artist run centre devoted to the promotion of original printmaking since 1972.
The only centre in Eastern Canada to offer specialised equipment in every single printmaking technique, including the digital print and UV serigraphy, Engramme continues to choose the renewal of this field as a privileged domain in visual arts creation. Engramme is particularly present in supporting the evolution of printmaking with its production and diffusion activities. They offer many opportunities to develop new expertise while constantly questioning the media’s traditions.
Engramme’s programming offers a privileged reflexion of the current trends taking place within the diversity of artistic research in printmaking. It also prioritises the exploration of innovative printmaking practices and in synergistic contact with other artistic disciplines.
Focussed on the future, this reinforcement of the print media by Engramme has made printmaking an incubator for the captivating creation and for new possibilities for both established professional artists and emerging artists that work in print, and also for artists that work in other artistic disciplines.
The gallery has several moveable walls that can be arranged in various settings. This can be viewed at the links below where you will also see previous exhibitions.
TERM AND CONDITIONS
- Applicants must based in Scotland and working in printmaking.
- Applicants must be a member of the Society of Scottish Artists to apply. Join online here.
- Incomplete or late submissions will not be considered.
- The Society of Scottish Artists reserves the right to reject any submission that is deemed unsuitable due to unclear or insufficient information.
- The decision of the selection committee is final. No correspondence will be entered into following their decision.
- The artist must insure all work during transit and provide an official valuation of the total value of prints to Engramme. (All insurance companies used must be accredited ones)
- The artist must agree to lend the prints to Engramme for the full duration of the exhibition.
- Artist is responsible for shipping/postage of their work to the gallery.
- Prints must be packaged in a travel proof and sturdy tube/container. (Should any of the work or container arrive in a damaged condition, and Engramme has to compensate for the packaging, the artist would be invoiced)
- The gallery will undertake install and take down of work re-packaging and return shipping costs of the artwork.
- Engramme will supply basic gallery equipment and supervision of the exhibition during opening hours. (Magnets will be used to hang the prints and cover the windows of the gallery with UV filters to protect the prints from sunlight)
- Should the artist wish to be in attendance, accommodation is included plus a contribution towards travel costs.
- The artist must send Engramme an updated curriculum vitae and statement, and a list of prints to be exhibited, including title, technique and selling price or estimated value of prints as well as any relevant information for a press release, such as any previous reviews/publications, etc.
- The award includes promotion of the exhibition, including the printing and mail out of invitation cards, online and distribution of a press release to the Quebec media.
A first selection will be undertaken by professional artist members of the Society of Scottish Artists Council. Shortlisted artists will be informed by 22 May 2017. At this stage, we may ask shortlisted artists for further information. Shortlisted proposals will then be sent to Engramme who will make the final selection of one artist.
SSA Selection Committee:
Sharon Quigley, Paul Charlton, Jenny Smith, Rowena S Comrie, Silvana Maclean, David Faithfull, Ruth Nicol, Norman McBeath, Anne Forte