We are recruiting Members based across Scotland who would like to become a Satellite Associate for the SSA and help expand the Society’s activities over the coming years.
The Satellite Associate programme was devised in April 2020 as a way of connecting the SSA with all the diverse regions of Scotland. Each area has its own ‘satellite’ acting locally as ears and eyes. They inform the Society about art events and opportunities in their areas, potential exhibition spaces and anything else that they feel may be of interest to SSA members.
Over the last four years, Satellite Associates have created many new opportunities for members including making connections with local authorities and other arts organisations, facilitating exhibitions, talks and residencies from Shetland to the Scottish Borders and increasing our membership throughout Scotland.
Moving forward we are aiming to increase the number of satellites to 24, in order to cover the 24 regions of Scotland. We would also like to make the role a more important one by making the satellites more involved in selection panels in their locality and trying to find ways to store and ship members’ work for SSA exhibitions.
We are therefore recruiting for new Satellite Associates based in the following regions; Angus & Dundee, Clackmannanshire & Fife, East Lothian & Midlothian, Falkirk, Perth & Kinross, and Stirling, West Lothian, East Dumbartonshire, West Dumbartonshire, Helensborough & Lomond, Inverclyde, East Renfrewshire and Renfrewshire, North Lanarkshire, South Ayrshire, South Lanarkshire, Scottish Borders and Shetland Islands.
The role is voluntary but being a Satellite allows you to be more involved in the art world both in your own area, and nationally. As a satellite you will be continually making connections and meeting new art professionals. The role also brings increased opportunities to show your own work as you will be instrumental in creating opportunities for yourself and all SSA members.
- Attend monthly (or thereabouts), one-hour Zoom meetings with all the other satellites.
- Forge links with Art agencies (such as WASPS) and local authorities in your area.
- Seek out spaces for exhibition opportunities.
- Seek out spaces for collection and delivery of work to national exhibitions such as the SSA Annual Exhibition.
- Seek out local Art Couriers to facilitate delivery of members’ work.
- Be open to reporting back on or facilitating anything that may interest members in your area, such as talks, lectures, residencies or gatherings.
- Promote and increase SSA membership in your area.
You can see who the current Satellite Associates are here.
If you are interested in becoming a new Satellite Associate for your area, please fill out the form below by 30 October 2023 at 5pm.
If you have any questions, please contact Gill Walton, Satellite Associate Coordinator email@example.com